Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Taste of Things to Come

So, today was the school "Thanksgiving" lunch for kindergarten and 2nd grade...Dear Hubby was going to have turkey and all the trimmings with both kiddos today. On the way to school this morning, A asks me - "Is it sandwich turkey or turkey thanksgiving turkey?" I told her thanksgiving turkey. She freaks out. "On the bone and everything?" I told her, no, they would cut it off the bone for her...

After a minute of silence, A then tells me she won't eat turkey anymore, that's it mean for them to kill a turkey. I asked her why it was mean.... "Because the turkey is scared and then they kill it..." "Don't you think the pig or the cow would be scared, too?" - after it came out of my mouth, I realized it was probably not my brightest move.

A's response - "The turkey is smaller, Mom..."

Whew....for now. I have no doubt though that the day is coming when she will tell me she will no longer eat meat at all. So here's my question for any of you out there - at what age will it be appropriate for me to allow her to stop eating meat and become a vegetarian? I posed that question to Dear Hubby - he said high school. Thoughts, anyone?

4 comments:

  1. As long as she eats other sources of protein and iron well, anytime is ok (from a nutritional standpoint). There are several vegan moms in my twins club that are raising their kids vegan as well. I don't know if A will go that all-out, though. That means no animal whatsoever (eggs, milk). Embrace the soybean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a vegetarian house these days - have been for about two years now! I lean towards vegan, but more honestly it's vegetarian. We are not strict about it - but I don't ever cook meat anymore. We drink soy milk...in fact Nate has never had cow's milk! Our ped says this is fine as long as we get protein from other sources...beans, etc. It's not like we never have meat though - anytime we go out or eat with friends we don't turn it down but may choose other options. There's never an age too young!

    Go Abby - - you've got a little environmentalist on your hands!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that people do it and that it's ok and she can get the protein she needs elsewhere...but at what age do I feel like she really has the mental capacity to make that choice, I guess, and really understand the choice she is making. I am all about her making a choice and having a voice for herself, but does she have the capacity at 7 years old to understand that choice. That's my question. In my mind, I want her to be able to research it and make an informed choice, not just do it on a whim. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not worry, Kaso. Whim choices, usually do not last. She might decided not to eat the Turkey this meal, but perhaps the Turkey sandwich the next week. I imagine to be vegan, vegetarian is to commit to a lifestyle. I can't imagine she will be able to do that at 7. Dinner should not be a fight, she'll eat or she won't, but she'll be fine either way.

    ReplyDelete