Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The 3 Week Escape....

If you have been reading this blog for long, you know we have 2 bearded dragons - Randall (mean and ferocious and blind in one eye) and Renny (smaller, less ferocious, and a girl). They both reside in A's room, even though Renny is technically W's pet.

Well, about 3 weeks ago, Renny disappeared. I didn't really fret because she has done that before and dug under the sand in her terrarium to hibernate for a week or so at a time. So no big deal.

A week after she went incognito, Dear Hubby decided to change out the bedding in the terrarium and put in some kind of coconut shaving stuff that Walter's World of Pets sold him for reptiles. So he needed to dig Renny out. Except Renny was not there...she was nowhere to be found in her shared terrarium with Randall...he sifted through every last piece of sand - afraid an avalanche had buried her or that Randall had decided to turn carnivorous and eaten her...nothing. Not a trace of Renny. No clues. She just disappeared into thin reptile air.

Our next thought was she got out - or someone let her out (umm, maybe a 7 year old who happens to love all things reptilian?) - or someone forgot to close the lid good after giving them water? Oh, great...you know how much I love the reptiles. So we started doing a search for her...we looked under everything. We checked behind every door, we looked in closets, in shoes. Nada. Where could she have gone and how long had she been gone? Yikes.

Well, 3 weeks go by and no signs whatsoever of Renny....until last night. About 9.30 pm, A comes RUNNING in telling Dear Hubby and I that she found Renny! WHAT? She says "I did! She's right here! I'm holding her!" Sure enough she was.

"I was laying in bed and I heard this scratch, scratching from my closet. I thought - could that be Renny? So I got out of bed and went and looked! And there was Renny! Sitting in my baby doll basket on a baby blanket!!" Ummm...how many 7 year old girls would go investigate a strange noise coming from their closet in the middle of the night? I would have screamed like a girl and asked my daddy to come get the boogie man.

So Renny came home after her 3 week escape. There is no telling what she did for 3 weeks but it would make a good movie, wouldn't it? So many questions I'd like to ask her - what did you eat and drink all that time, Renny? Where did you hide out? Did Rosie (our new puppy) come sniffing around and you scared her off? And where did you poop, so I can clean it up?

And don't worry, Rowdy Girls Mom...plans have been put into action to finally move Renny into her very own terrarium this week. No more bunking with the Mean and Ferocious One, Randall. Probably why she ran away in the first place!

2 comments:

  1. I can not tell you how much it warms my heart that A is not afraid of scratchy noises in the night and loves critters so much! Tell her I lost my kingsnake, Houdini, for 3 months once. The cafeteria lady found him under a warming light one morning. She was.not.happy. I kissed up to her for a long time after that. Oh, and you remember my turtle during our freshman year? The one that hibernated in my g-parents' backyard for 5 months and then showed back up? They usually come back. Just remember that for the next lost critter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious! Reminds me of half a pair of new black patten leather Easter shoes.

    ReplyDelete