Sunday, August 30, 2009

Most Likely to Save the World

What a busy weekend...my dear sweet A turned 8 years old yesterday. Wait. Is that right? Let's see, she was born in 2001....so, yep, that's it. She's 8 YEARS OLD!!! Yikes...


So, just for A, a little letter from her momma (yes, I'm still momma, but I'm expecting it to become "mom" or "mother" any day now. )

A -

Life with you is ALWAYS an adventure. You have definitely kept me on my toes these past 8 years and I'm sure you will keep things interesting for many many years to come. From the minute you were born, you wanted everyone to know you were here and that you love life. You, my sweet girl, are not a wallflower, like your momma. You are an extrovert, just like your daddy. You like attention, just like your daddy. You have so much life and so much love for all things God created inside of you. I've written before about how you just have this "thing" about you that for the longest time I couldn't quite describe until God_showed_me_what_it_was. You dance through every single part of your life with a song in your heart. You have such a ZEAL for life. You often make me wonder where my zeal went! :)

You are com-passionate and passionate about things you believe in, like saving the Earth or saving the animals. You are such a creative thinker - I don't think you will ever be able to think "inside the box" - all you know is outside of it. Boxes, schmoxes...you don't need no stinkin' boxes. :) Every so often, you and I butt heads over this one, because I like the boxes and I like the rules....in my world, you must follow the rules, color inside the lines, follow instructions. In your world, rules and lines are optional and instructions are mere guidelines.

Your mind is always working. It tires me out, girl. I am constantly answering questions or sending you to the computer to look up the answer to your questions. And if it's not a scientific question, then it's something like "Mom, what was your favorite vegetable when you were a kid?" or "Mom, if you had all the money in the world, what would you do with it?" or "Mom, which is your favorite finger on your right hand?" You think I'm kidding. You have asked me all 3 of these questions within the past 24 hours. And, because your mind is always working, you have this tendency to just drop things right where they are because your mind has moved on to something else...we battle over this one - I'm constantly telling you "OHIO - only handle it once!" but that's really a hard thing for you because by the time you pick up your shoes and head to your closet to put them away, you get distracted by something else, so your shoes end up in the middle of the hall floor or in the bathroom or who knows where.
Your interests right now revolve around science (which explains why an 8 year old girl owns a microscope and a telescope, 2 bearded dragons who like to go on adventures, 3 fire bellied toads, and actually enjoys the non-fiction book section of the library), music (SuperChick, Barlow Girls, Misty Edwards, some Radio Disney stuff, Decypher Down, just to name a few -plus playing the piano), dancing, and art. You love to read, to write songs or poems, and to play with any toys that let you use your imagination.

You make friends easily. I mean, if you see them and they will talk back to you, then they are your friend. You just love people. You love being around them and you love on them with a love that comes from someone other than you - it comes from Jesus in your heart. A very precious, very kind heart.


I know, A, that sometimes I'm hard on you...sometimes I push you a little harder or expect a little more from you than I do your brother. I'm learning, too. But, in my defense, it's because I think you are amazing. You have this t-shirt that was actually passed down to you from your cousin, Claire...but it says "Most Likely to Save the World" - that's how I see you, A. That's what I see in you. God has made you just like you are and He is going to use you and all of your zeal and passion. Just wait and see.

Happy birthday, A. I love you like crazy.


5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Kacey! I know it sounds cliche', but it really does "just seem like yesterday" that we were both pregnant with our first babies! I cannot believe she is 8! Daniel said he can remember her as the "purple burrito"! I love the picture of her when she kept crawling so fast up to the camera lens trying to check it out! Inquisitive from the very beginning, I guess. Oh, and the picture of her kissing the fish...I had to double take because she so looks like Preston!
    Blessed we are to have such sweet children. I love that she has such a zeal for life! Happy Birthday Abby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This precious gal has one really precious Momma! You are doing a great job, Kacey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet, sweet words of blessing to a precious gal! It will not only bless her heart now, but for many years to come. You have mastered the art of speaking blessings to your children, Kacey. Your honesty is amazing, but the best thing is how you honor Abby. I love you, gal! And I'm so proud of you!!!!

    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. sniff. sniff. Great post Kacey. What a sweet daughter you have. I am so proud of Abby and what she stands for. A great reflection of her Father's love and her parent's dedication. Thank you for sharing about her.
    It also helped me out a bit this morning. I am constantly battling M about putting things away the first time. (OHIO!! - like that one!!) She is so distractable!! Thank you for the reminder that this could be a positive thing in her personality - and not "always" worth the battle.

    Happy Birthday to our Abby!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my....where to start....For sure, as Jenny put it....you have surely mastered speaking blessings over your child. You know, as I read thru each part & saw each photo, it was just like being whurled back in time. But, it ''was'' a bit overwhelming to see ''how'' much she has grown. SHe so looks like a ''young girl'' now...not a little girl anymore....& that one's still pretty hard to grasp.

    And it ''is'' amazing to listen to her talk about her dreams of saving the animals & doing such big things (all with wonder & deep concentration in her eyes).....And you're right.....

    She probably ''is'' most likely to save the world!!

    Way to go Abby-girl!! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete